Retirement is a monumental milestone and can bring up new life decisions to think about. One of the first thoughts for retirees is where to retire. According to a study conducted by a moving company, nearly 400,000 American retirees moved their residences during 2020. For many, the pandemic shifted priorities and retirees were given a chance to deeply re-evaluate their future. Some retirees revived old wanderlust dreams and moved to their dream destination. Others wanted to be closer to their grandchildren and be available for the working parents who were juggling a new normal.
If you’re planning for retirement or the Great Reassessment has you thinking about relocating, here is a brief list of things to consider as well as a roundup of the top cities for retirees.
- Taxes – while some states are more tax-friendly, do your research to see what the differences are if you’re crossing state lines.
- House size – less is more in your pockets. There is a direct correlation between a large house and the following: property tax, homeowners insurance, and upkeep/maintenance.
- Weather – be prepared with what to expect and what you may miss if you’re moving to a different climate. The grass is not always greener in what we picture as “paradise”
- Neighborhood – consider a “test drive” of the neighborhood before you commit and be sure to experience it during the day and at night.
- Family dynamics – inform family members who may be affected by your relocation. Creating space for open discussion will likely reduces awkward family dynamics due to thoughts unexpressed.
Top Cities for Retirement
Here is a list of the top retirement destinations in the US, in no particular order:
- South Carolina
- New Hampshire
Here is a list of the top retirement destinations outside of the US, in no particular order:
- Costa Rica
If relocating is part of your retirement plan, please take advantage of our comprehensive suite of home transition services. From selling your home to unpacking all your belongings in your new home, our team is with you every step of the way. It is our job to make your life’s biggest transition as simple and stress-free as possible!